Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Clubs...Are They Worth It??

I will admit it. I used to think that book clubs were for stay at home moms or older adults who needed something else in their lives to occupy themselves. Which is exactly how they are portrayed in the media.

BUT...is that what they really are?

Today, there are SO many more options for book clubs. There are the social media outlets to connect everyone all at once. Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, etc. With the internet, there is no longer so much of a need to all get together at someone's house and make snacks and sit around a living room to talk about a book.

I am currently in two different book clubs on Goodreads.com. If you want to check them out they are Basically Books and Reading With Tequila. I actually really love my book clubs! I don't always like the books that the pick, but the thing that I love the most, is that I get to read books that I would never have otherwise picked out for myself and sometimes find some real gems!

I have always been a very big believer in widening your gaze and opening your mind to further options and possibilities. Everyone always has their favorite genre and author and books, but there is always room to expand your horizons. Maybe you won't like the book, then don't finish it if you don't want to. Put out on the discussion that you didn't like it. It's as easy as that.

You don't have to read all of the books. You don't have to finish them all. But you should at least try to try new things and see what else you might like.

You are never going to know if you like something else if you never try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment