Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes: A Short Review

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes is probably my least favorite of the Holmes books so far, and that is mainly because of the last short story in the book. Here are the titles of the stories in the book:
Silver Blaze
The Yellow Face
The Stock-Broker's Clerk
The "Gloria Scott"
The Musgrave Ritual
The Reigate Puzzle
The Crooked Man
The Resident Patient
The Greek Interpreter
The Naval Treaty
The Final Problem

The Greek Interpreter is actually one of my favorite episodes of the older Sherlock Homes show, so I really liked reading the story. The Resident Patient is also a really good one. 

My really only problem with the whole collection is The Final Problem. HOW DO YOU INTRODUCE THE GREATEST CRIMINAL MIND LIKE THAT??? It was like, all of a sudden Sherlock mentions that this guy is the greatest criminal mind, but all he says is that he's been behind a bunch of stuff. We don't get ANY preview of his criminality. We don't get to see him behind any crime. We don't get to see Sherlock going after him. Ughhhh. You could make a book just about the tet-a-tet between Sherlcok and Moriarty, but noooooooo. Why would we get that? 

Also, I hate the end. I understand that Watson couldn't be there because that would ruin it, but that also means that we don't see it. I also understand that is kind of the point so that he believes that Sherlcok is really gone, when duh-duh-duh he's not! :) I don't know. I just didn't like any of the story. I was so disappointed.

All in all, I still gave the book 5 out of 5 stars. I love Sherlock Holmes and all of the details in the stories to follow, and the characters. I will continue my Sherlock Holmes kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment